The kitchen crusader

I love food more than anything and I'm really bossy in the kitchen. I was brought up to care about food. I rant about it a lot. Food makes or breaks my day. I can't understand people who don't care about what they eat. I once cooked in a former job and I dream of cooking in a future one.
Wednesday, April 19, 2006
what I ate last: Mussels and clams and winkles, alive alive-o

Ah. Five days on the West Coast of Scotland. No mobile phone reception. No internet. Not a single light to be seen from the windows at night. And a hundred yards below us on the beach, mussels and winkels in abundance to be picked, and clams to be ferreted out, and even one glorious, huge oyster.

We shopped in Fort William after getting off the sleeper and bought an enormous leg of lamb, some steaks, oxtail and a ritual haggis alongside plenty of veg and booze. We were amazed to find that, at the end of the trip totting up our spending, over five days we had only spent £50 each on food and enough alcohol to make us all into shrieking banshees by 1am every night. So a pretty cheap trip, and we ate very well - even if I do say so myself, having ensconced myself firmly in the kitchen and beating away intruders with a wooden spoon. And we had virtually nothing left to throw away at the end. Its amazing how economically you can eat if you actually cook every day and so use up all your leftovers.

Day 1: Pasta with proper tomato sauce for lunch, with salad
Roast lamb with roast potatoes, spring greens and salad for supper

Day 2: Bacon, eggs, tomato and beans on toast for breakfast
Winkles, then cold roast lamb for lunch with salad, braised leeks with tomato, cheese and a baked potato
Steaks with saute potatoes, stir-fried carrots and savoy cabbage, and salad for supper

Day 3: Mushrooms on toast with cheese for breakfast
Spaghetti vongole followed by a veritable vat of moules marinieres for lunch
Shepherd's pie, spring greens and salad for supper

Day 4: Toast and peanut butter and various bits and pieces for breakfast
Smoked salmon sandwiches, hot cross buns and oranges for lunch (half-way up a mini mountain)
Fried haggis followed by slow-cooked oxtail casserole (containing carrots and potatoes) with stir-fried savoy cabbage and leeks

Day 5: Smoked salmon, scrambled eggs, bacon and tomato for breakfast
Spaghetti with mussels in tomato sauce and salad with cheese for lunch
....and back home on the sleeper....

Don't you wish you were with us! Precious fat juicy clams picked off the beach, shining glossy winkles and so many mussels we cooked enough for about ten people. Oh so good. We even tried to fish for brown trout and I'm sure would have had success if we'd stuck at it longer, and there are nets to be cast over the mouth of little burns, crabs, lobsters, all sorts of hidden joys. I want to move there and live off foraged food forever.

posted at 6:25 PM  13 comments
permalink

13 Comments:

That sounds awesome! I've always wanted to visit Scotland.

By Anonymous D, at 8:44 PM  

Calling all food lovers:

DK would like to give you a sneak peak of the new book, How to cook the perfect…by Marcus Wareing. Follow this link to find out how to make the perfect custard tart: http://youtube.com/watch?v=sI82eJFnuzs

This recipe and many more are featured in his fantastic new book, publishing 5 April. It is filled with “key to perfection” tips for cooking everything perfect.

By Anonymous Dorling Kindersley, at 3:39 PM  

Hi Your food blog looks great and you have some lovely recipes, I will be back to visit you.

from
Jeena xx

visit jeenas blog for healthy recipes
updated daily !

By Blogger Jeena, at 7:27 PM  

By Blogger Никола, at 11:45 PM  

My sister lives in England to when i came to visit we went to Ireland, maybe next time we can go to Scotland, it sounds amazing!
I cant believe you picked them right off the beach! I wish we could go down to the beach here and do that!
The food you cooked sounds amazing You're making me hungry! hahaha

Great post,
Tanya

By Anonymous supper solutions, at 9:52 PM  

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Joyce

http://www.videophonesguide.com

By Blogger linda, at 4:51 AM  

You had some great meals this day. Enjoying your posts.

By Anonymous Atlanta personal injury attorney, at 5:58 PM  

your blog is too fine, Looks nice and very creative.

By Anonymous Al, at 11:50 AM  

Want more time with parents and children with family? Can operate as long as the trivial time
Welcome to learn a simple understanding of free market
http://sn.im/vemma_usa
Thank you for your time reading, do not give up the chance to even know, know no loss to you!

By Blogger Internet business at home automated system, at 5:48 PM  

thank you
melekler korusun final şenyuva bitmeyen şarkı fatmagülün suçu ne dizi izle videolu yemek tarifleri resimli yemek tarifleri yemek tarifleri resimli

By Anonymous Turkish recipes, at 12:39 PM  

thank you

By Anonymous izmir çetesi, at 11:43 PM  

I enjoyed some of these posts, thanks for writing. I will share them with my colleagues. Is it ok if we include some of your posts in our newsletter? We will link to your site, of course. :) I think our audience would enjoy these tidbits from time to time – they are all food and beverage industry professionals. You can email me at the address I provided.

Neilesh

By Anonymous Neilesh Patel (Recruiter focused on Food Manufacturing Jobs), at 10:43 AM  

NIce post. If you are looking for some recipe then ClickDrink Recipes

By Blogger Suresh Urs, at 7:21 AM  

Post a Comment